Thirteen individuals from two Long Island-based boiler rooms were charged with securities fraud by the Securities and Exchange Commission who alleges that they made hundreds of thousands of cold calls, many of which targeted senior citizens.
The SEC press release makes quite a few shocking allegations and demonstrates just how far the unscrupulous will go to take advantage of the general public, for example:
- It is estimated that over $10 million was scammed from innocent and unknowing victims.
- A boiler room salesman allegedly claimed that Walt Disney Co. was buying into a company that would cause the penny stock he was touting to soar.
- Victims were harassed and intimidated by sale personnel…One allegedly told a victim “Do you have any rope at home? If so tie a know and hang yourself or get a gun and blow your head off”.
- The telemarketers would instruct victims to place trades and a specific price and number of shares and then the scammers would place opposing sell orders to dump their own shares.
Scott W. Friestad, Associate Director of the SEC’s Enforcement Division, added, “The defendants allegedly used boiler rooms and high-pressure sales tactics to swindle seniors into investing their life savings in microcap securities they were secretly manipulating for their own profit. But, through a combination of technology and innovative investigative approaches, we were able to unravel the alleged scheme and prevent further investor harm.”
Defendants named in the SEC complaint are:
- POWERTRADERSPRESS.COM, INC.
- ELITE STOCK RESEARCH, INC.
- ERIK MATZ
- RONALD HARDY
- ANTHONY VASSALLO
- STEPHANIE LEE
- JEFFREY CHARTIER
- LAWRENCE D. ISEN
- ROBERT GLECKMAN,\
- MICHAEL WATTS
- BRIAN HEEPKE
- DENNIS J. VERDEROSA
- EMIN COHEN
- SERGIO RAMIREZ
- ASHLEY ANTOS
If you were recommended to deal with any of these individuals by a registered stock broker, you may be able to recover damages from that broker’s employer. Call for details.
Rex Securities Law , with offices in Boca Raton, FL, and Austin, TX, provides representation to investors nationwide who are seeking recovery of investment losses due to the negligence or fraud of stockbrokers and broker dealers. If you have questions about how your account has been handled, call to speak with an experienced securities attorney.
Most cases handled on a contingent fee basis meaning that you do not pay legal fees unless we are successful.
Florida-561 391 1900